Spring LAN 2011 ***Discussion***

Announcements relating K-State or KGB.

Moderator: Special Agents

Spring LAN 2011 ***Discussion***

Postby PizzaDaHut67 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:52 am

Our Spring LAN is March 11th at 6:00pm in the CCCR. There is going to be a poster contest for this LAN with a case of pop of your choice for the winner. Posters need to contain the following information.

"KGB Spring LAN
Friday March 11 @ 6:00pm College Center Conference Room
Bring Games, Friends, Consoles & Computers"
Also a list of games, the KGB logo, club name (K-State Gamers Board) and a link to our website.

Poster need to be submitted on this forum, may the best artist win!
PizzaDaHut67
High Warlord

Re: Spring LAN

Postby iKALEIDOSCOPE on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Here's one idea for a poster I have.

Whether you like or dislike mine... feedback would be greatly appreciated. It'll only help me get better. :)
iKALEIDOSCOPE

Postby chicken on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Feedback:  I think the term "LAN" is outdated, the people we want to attract may not know what it means.  "Gaming Event" may, on the other hand, be more indicative of where the club is going these days....just a thought.
chicken
Advisor

Postby iKALEIDOSCOPE on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:06 am

I agree with you but I feel like I will get "bitched" at by a few people if I don't put LAN. I agree though that gaming event is probably the better way to go. I'll edit the same poster but change LAN to gaming event and if my poster art is chosen or wins by default then we can decide which one to use. :)

Thank you for the feedback chicken!! Always helps!
iKALEIDOSCOPE

Postby MuadDib on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 pm

"LAN" vs "Gaming Event" seems like a good topic for a meeting, as well as determining official names for the rest of the upcoming events for the semester.  While I agree "Gaming Event" is the more politically correct term nowadays, it seems ridiculous that people can't read the section of the poster that says "Bring Games, Friends, Consoles, and Computers" and comprehend what's going on. I know we used "Gaming Event" for the first LAN of the school year, so there is a precedent. However the previous 7 years worth of events where we used "LAN", is also a precedent. /shrug
MuadDib
Scarlet Speedster
Scarlet Speedster

Postby Karunt on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:06 pm

For what is it worth, gaming event sounds really, really lame and reminds me of George Carlin's "Rain Event".  If the officers decide it is necessary to change LAN to something else, consider Gaming Party or something a little more exciting, just don't use the word extreme or string Xs together.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
-William J. H. Boetcker
Karunt
Honorary AzN

Postby iKALEIDOSCOPE on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 pm

No one said anything about extreme or stringing x's together... and I don't think it is really about "Gaming Event" being politically correct, but I do think the club needs to reach out to newer people.... and changing some wording so new people can understand more clearly could help.
iKALEIDOSCOPE

Postby PizzaDaHut67 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:04 pm

iKALEIDOSCOPE wrote:No one said anything about extreme or stringing x's together....

I think it is b4 my time, but I believe there is a story to that...or something
PizzaDaHut67
High Warlord

Postby darksider on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 am

this thread makes me feel so ooooooold (and out of touch).  example: i had no idea that these 'gaming events' could be called anything other than lan parties =(
darksider
Underground Terrorist

Postby MuadDib on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:21 pm

Well the idea behind the "gaming event" descriptor came about to make the event feel more open to those who play board games and card games (aka trying to expand our ranks).  However, even though we've setup tables to cater to those individuals for the past 7 months, the tables were only ever used once (Alpha LAN 2010).  I mean it's not that big of a deal to me what ends up on the poster, but despite what anyone calls it...it's a LAN because the computers and consoles are connected to one another via a Local Area Network.
MuadDib
Scarlet Speedster
Scarlet Speedster

Postby iKALEIDOSCOPE on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 pm

That's the point I'm trying to make... Is it still a LAN? Yes, but if we're going to expand and not let this club die then we need to do something that will help those that might not look very closely at the poster until after they see "Gaming Event" to realize what we're doing and be excited about it. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. If we want to keep it LAN then that is fine but I'm merely having this conversation because I believe Chicken made a really good point.
iKALEIDOSCOPE

Postby MuadDib on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:12 pm

I agree, it is a good point to consider and it's nice to know that someone is watching from the side to remind us of things that might otherwise get overlooked.

I guess my point is that our biggest turnout of board gamers was what...like 3 or 4 people? It's fine to try to make them aware, but KGB was founded by LAN gamers for LAN gaming, shouldn't that be our primary focus? IDK, I'm not trying to argue, I just want to throw everything out there so all scenarios can be understood.  For example, when we called one of the LANs a "Gaming Event" last semester I had students and faculty/staff ask me why KGB was no longer doing LANs and what exactly is a "Gaming Event".  I guess it just bugs me that we're potentially confusing and losing our usual user base because we're trying to cater to a different user base. /shrug
MuadDib
Scarlet Speedster
Scarlet Speedster

Postby Gambit on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:18 pm

MuadDib wrote:I agree, it is a good point and it's nice to know that someone is watching from the side to remind us of things that might otherwise get overlooked.

I guess my point is that our biggest turn out of board gamers was what...like 3 people? It's fine to try to make them aware, but KGB was founded by LAN gamers for LAN gaming, shouldn't that be our primary focus? IDK, I'm not trying to argue, I just want to throw everything out there so all scenarios can be understood.  For example, the couple times we called the LANs a "Gaming Event" last semester I had students ask me why KGB was no longer doing LANs and what exactly is a "Gaming Event".  I guess it just bugs me that we're potentially confusing and losing our usual user base because we're trying to cater to a different user base. /shrug

Muad has a very good point here.  The KGB was founded for LAN gamers. "Gaming Event" is more PC, but as those of you that know me, most of the time I don't give a flying something or the other about being PC.  The KGB is a LAN gaming club. My opinion, take it or leave it, is stick with LAN and mention on the poster that board/card games are welcome.

:twocents
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Gambit
The Stranger

Postby iKALEIDOSCOPE on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:29 pm

I agree with your points as well but I think you're confusing my point with wanting more board gamers... This club isn't about board games so that's not what I'm trying to get more of.. I just see where chicken comes from when he says that "Gaming Event" might help us reach more people. But if the majority want to keep what is printed on the poster as LAN then I am totally cool with that as well. :)
iKALEIDOSCOPE

Postby VI=P=IIR on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:00 pm

maybe at least add the word party somehow as "old man" darksider mentioned :P  . . . party does still indicate an atmosphere of fun & merriment right?
. . . more so than an 'event' does to me anyway . . .
VI=P=I2R
(Knowledge is power . . .)
ImageImage

Image Image
VI=P=IIR
Advisor

Next

Return to News & Announcements