Changing the Name of LAN Parties *Discussion

Announcements relating K-State or KGB.

Moderator: Special Agents

Changing the Name of LAN Parties *Discussion

Postby New_IT_Guy on Thu May 08, 2014 10:46 am

It has been brought up about considering changing the name of our LAN parties to something more appropriate to the current status of the club. It seems like LAN parties now are more heavily console driven instead of LAN gaming. That being said, I would greatly appreciate any input that everyone has about possible name changes.
Thank you for calling IT. Have you tried restarting that yet?
New_IT_Guy
CL4P-TP's Minion

Re: Changing the Name of LAN Parties *Discussion

Postby VI=P=IIR on Thu May 08, 2014 10:01 pm

name/title that also has a cool acronym = mega bonus points :)

"Gaming Event" has been tried in the past with no benefit just so everyone knows ...
VI=P=I2R
(Knowledge is power . . .)
ImageImage

Image Image
VI=P=IIR
Advisor

Re: Changing the Name of LAN Parties *Discussion

Postby MuadDib on Fri May 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for bringing this discussion to the forums New_IT_Guy, it is good to see event attendance taken seriously and discussion about ways to increase it is welcome.

New_IT_Guy wrote:It seems like LAN parties now are more heavily console driven ...

I don't think I agree with that statement, while consoles are becoming a big part of our events the majority of devices are still PCs.

I have been kicking around acronym ideas since it was brought up at the last meeting, and admittedly they are all pretty lame. Here is the best I have come up with so far.

GAME NIGHT with GAME being the acronym:

Gaming
Activity
Multiplayer
Event

Events would be named something like KGB OMEGA GAME NIGHT or KGB B.I.T.S. GAME NIGHT. /meh

I am all for renaming our events if you all think it might increase numbers. However the push behind this is that the word "LAN" is confusing to non-technical people and somehow causing them to not attend our events. If that were the case, then when we changed the name to "Gaming Event" which is self explanatory, our numbers should have increased, and as VI=P=IIR pointed out they did not.

Instead of limiting ourselves by hoping a name change might increase attendance we should explore other areas that can be improved upon as well: timeliness of advertising, placement and quantity of posters, ensuring we are utilizing all of the advertising tools provided by the university (listserves, web, newsletters, etc.), and expanding our advertisement target audience beyond campus are just a few that have been discussed before but rarely acted upon.

Post your thoughts/suggestions.

:twocents
MuadDib
Scarlet Speedster
Scarlet Speedster

Return to News & Announcements